Skip to main content

Day 20: My First Concert

http://www.luthervandross.com/news/great-luther-vandross-deals-amazon-today-only
photo credit:  luthervandross.com

As today is the 20th of November, it is also Day 20 of Blogember challenge to blog each day during the month of November.

When I think back to my teenage years I recall many concerts that I attended at the amphitheater in the hometown I grew up in - SPAC (Saratoga Performing Arts Center).  As I recall the first one was likely Foreigner .. not particularly memorable.  And there were lots more in the late 70's and through the mid-80's…. The Cars, Asia, Brian Adams, Journey, Doobie Brothers, Jimmy Buffet ….

And yet today the memories rattling round my brain are of a different kind.  Today would have been a dear, old friend's 50th birthday .. he died a few years ago at age 47 due to liver failure.  He and I were married nearly 9 years, and then apart 10 years before he died.

The most memorable concerts I attended were with him.  We saw Luther Vandross together several times - big venue, small venue - each time better than the time before.  He had introduced me to Luther when I first moved in with him - by playing A House is Not a Home.

Seems looking back that life was simpler then.  Although I wouldn't have thought so at that time.  There are many reasons to remember what worked, what didn't work and why things stopped working.  I'd like to think I learned a great deal from our time together.  What I'm most proud of is that I loved with my whole heart.  And when it didn't work any more - we grew to want different things - I was able to stand up and say so.  And then I began again.

We were in touch in the last 18 months of his life.  The best gift he ever gave me was to reach out and connect with me after two big losses in his life.  I lived 900 miles away and had a family of my own - so there was no 'ask' of me.  He wanted to make peace with me.  We were able to recognize through a series of emails that we didn't hurt anymore.  We apologized to each other, and wished each other well. The last email I got from him said, 'enjoy your family…'.  And I do! Very much.  I cherish my husband and daughter - each day.

Today I'll listen to Luther and remember … the concerts, the man who was so important a lifetime ago, and the memories attached to each.  Thank you for making those memories with me.  And allowing me to move on to a new life.

It's like that was the first concert for me.  And now the rest of the tour continues ...

Comments

  1. What a beautiful tribute to your friend and your past. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary! I've enjoyed reading your stories each day .. glad to get to know you through your writing too!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

And I'm back

Right now on the downslide to 2018 there are some things that need to change.  I can feel them in my bones, in my heart and on my mind!  This is going to be the year of me.  Feeling, doing, loving better than I have before.... not wondering, resting and being cautious! This image is the inspiration I need.  The critic is the inner critic.  And i'm done listening to her.  Here's what I know.  I'm braver and stronger than I ever imagined.  When someone says I can't do something I say, 'just watch me."  So here goes. 2018 feeling better feeling stronger being curious being bold taking adventures taking time to do it right

Day 16: Six Word Memoir

"Thought about stopping, then ran harder." Day 16 for the Blogember challenge is a 6-word memoir. I could substitute 'ran' for 'tried' almost every day.  Even if for just a brief moment I am paralyzed with fear, confusion, doubt - I press on.  And that is the very best time …. knowing that I still have the power within me to continue to 'fight'. This can be a physical challenge, emotional challenge or just what appears to be a mountain of work to overcome…. whatever it is, if I choose to find a way through it, rather than around it - I'm successful. Happened again this week at work - and my husband reminded me last night.  Why did you let it get you down for two days when you knew they best way to solve it was head-on, with a direct conversation?  He's right.  But I'm not successful with the conversation until I'm mentally prepared to have it.  And yesterday I did.   That's my mantra.  For running, and for l...

Day 4: Freedom

Today's Blogember entry is to write about Freedom. Freedom is one of those words/emotions/concepts that has changed for me over the years.  As I evolved and developed, so has how I view Freedom.  Early on I thought of Freedom as rights that I have as a citizen, the right to choose and how lucky I am to live in a country where Freedom is afforded to me. Fast forward to today.  Freedom to me still is resoundingly around my right to choose.  And those choices are how I see myself, how I choose to present myself to the world.  I have the freedom to make choices that resonate with my soul, and who I choose to be. Freedom is not being attached to all those nay-sayers who come into a life.  With freedom from the dependency of other's approval comes independence and confidence.  The ability to lean in to the life I have been given, carrying the lessons I've learned and the joy that sustains me. It is a purposeful life, one that encompasses freedom....