Skip to main content

Day 15: Favorite Halloween Costume of Mine



For the 15th day of the Blogember challenge to blog each day during the month of November, today's topic is my favorite halloween costume.

Hmmmm …..

Halloween was not a beloved holiday in my childhood home.  I don't have many memories of costumes or parties.  I recall pictures of one of my first Halloweens, perhaps I was two, where I was Peter Potumus (the hippo).  But after that I don't find photos or recall memories.

I recall the summer when I was 21, during college when I was in a figuring out my life phase.  And of course that what I should have been doing at that age.  Yet, I expected to have figured things out by then.  Boy, I wish I knew then what I know now, huh?

I had spent the spring and summer dating a guy with a big family and a kind heart.  My family liked him, his circle of friends had accepted me and it seemed to be going well.  That was until it stopped going well.  At the end of the summer.  I don't really know what I was expecting, but whatever it was became out of reach.  He became distant and distracted.  At that age I panicked and tried to keep him even closer.  I don't recall a dramatic ending, but I do remember it being over and how broken-hearted I felt.

By Halloween that year friends invited me to a costume party and I decided to go.  I dressed as a cowgirl with jeans, boots, bandana and borrowed a play holster with toy guns.  It was fun to pretend I was brave and strong.

I ran into this guy there and we began to date again … and it seemed like the costume was the trick to convincing myself I was worthy and strong.  It didn't make it until Christmas.  And then it was over again - for good.

His birthday was last month and we exchanged emails.  We have stayed in touch for over 20 years.  He's married with one in college, and one in high school.  I consider him an old and dear friend, with whom I share memories and lessons learned.  And part of that story is the favorite halloween costume of mine!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And I'm back

Right now on the downslide to 2018 there are some things that need to change.  I can feel them in my bones, in my heart and on my mind!  This is going to be the year of me.  Feeling, doing, loving better than I have before.... not wondering, resting and being cautious! This image is the inspiration I need.  The critic is the inner critic.  And i'm done listening to her.  Here's what I know.  I'm braver and stronger than I ever imagined.  When someone says I can't do something I say, 'just watch me."  So here goes. 2018 feeling better feeling stronger being curious being bold taking adventures taking time to do it right

Day 16: Six Word Memoir

"Thought about stopping, then ran harder." Day 16 for the Blogember challenge is a 6-word memoir. I could substitute 'ran' for 'tried' almost every day.  Even if for just a brief moment I am paralyzed with fear, confusion, doubt - I press on.  And that is the very best time …. knowing that I still have the power within me to continue to 'fight'. This can be a physical challenge, emotional challenge or just what appears to be a mountain of work to overcome…. whatever it is, if I choose to find a way through it, rather than around it - I'm successful. Happened again this week at work - and my husband reminded me last night.  Why did you let it get you down for two days when you knew they best way to solve it was head-on, with a direct conversation?  He's right.  But I'm not successful with the conversation until I'm mentally prepared to have it.  And yesterday I did.   That's my mantra.  For running, and for l...

Day 4: Freedom

Today's Blogember entry is to write about Freedom. Freedom is one of those words/emotions/concepts that has changed for me over the years.  As I evolved and developed, so has how I view Freedom.  Early on I thought of Freedom as rights that I have as a citizen, the right to choose and how lucky I am to live in a country where Freedom is afforded to me. Fast forward to today.  Freedom to me still is resoundingly around my right to choose.  And those choices are how I see myself, how I choose to present myself to the world.  I have the freedom to make choices that resonate with my soul, and who I choose to be. Freedom is not being attached to all those nay-sayers who come into a life.  With freedom from the dependency of other's approval comes independence and confidence.  The ability to lean in to the life I have been given, carrying the lessons I've learned and the joy that sustains me. It is a purposeful life, one that encompasses freedom....