Skip to main content

Day 17: Happiest Year in Elementary School



Today's post for Blogember - the commitment to blog each day during the month of November is about choosing my happiest year in Elementary school and why.

Elementary school is much of a blur of school and teachers that largely run together, with the exception of a few moments that stand out with ringing clarity.

The year I was in second grade was marked with another change to Division Street School and blessed with Mrs. Barbara Chubb as my teacher.  I'm not sure I'd call it idyllic, yet  by all other signs it appeared to be a quite normal school year.  Until my father 'got sick' in February and died in early June before the end of that school year.

And then the world changed. Immediately.

I recall an instant change in responsibility and how life as I knew it would never, ever be the same.

I would not call that my happiest year.  I would call that my most life-changing.  Would first grade be my happiest because it was the last school year I had my father as a part of my life?  At the time I didn't know that … who would think THIS could be the last time?  The last report card, school project, Christmas concert he'd ever see from me?

I'm not sure I had a happiest year in Elementary School.  But I don't look back with dread.  What I do is ensure that my second grader is having an awesome year and I am loving every project, concert, book report and teacher conference that is part of the school year!

So my happiest year in Elementary school is my daughter's - this year!  I don't compare myself to her, as so many things are different - and she's very much enjoying this time in her life.  I love her fully and completely - for everything she is - and all that she hopes to be one day!  Those are my happiest days!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And I'm back

Right now on the downslide to 2018 there are some things that need to change.  I can feel them in my bones, in my heart and on my mind!  This is going to be the year of me.  Feeling, doing, loving better than I have before.... not wondering, resting and being cautious! This image is the inspiration I need.  The critic is the inner critic.  And i'm done listening to her.  Here's what I know.  I'm braver and stronger than I ever imagined.  When someone says I can't do something I say, 'just watch me."  So here goes. 2018 feeling better feeling stronger being curious being bold taking adventures taking time to do it right

Day 16: Six Word Memoir

"Thought about stopping, then ran harder." Day 16 for the Blogember challenge is a 6-word memoir. I could substitute 'ran' for 'tried' almost every day.  Even if for just a brief moment I am paralyzed with fear, confusion, doubt - I press on.  And that is the very best time …. knowing that I still have the power within me to continue to 'fight'. This can be a physical challenge, emotional challenge or just what appears to be a mountain of work to overcome…. whatever it is, if I choose to find a way through it, rather than around it - I'm successful. Happened again this week at work - and my husband reminded me last night.  Why did you let it get you down for two days when you knew they best way to solve it was head-on, with a direct conversation?  He's right.  But I'm not successful with the conversation until I'm mentally prepared to have it.  And yesterday I did.   That's my mantra.  For running, and for l...

Day 4: Freedom

Today's Blogember entry is to write about Freedom. Freedom is one of those words/emotions/concepts that has changed for me over the years.  As I evolved and developed, so has how I view Freedom.  Early on I thought of Freedom as rights that I have as a citizen, the right to choose and how lucky I am to live in a country where Freedom is afforded to me. Fast forward to today.  Freedom to me still is resoundingly around my right to choose.  And those choices are how I see myself, how I choose to present myself to the world.  I have the freedom to make choices that resonate with my soul, and who I choose to be. Freedom is not being attached to all those nay-sayers who come into a life.  With freedom from the dependency of other's approval comes independence and confidence.  The ability to lean in to the life I have been given, carrying the lessons I've learned and the joy that sustains me. It is a purposeful life, one that encompasses freedom....