Skip to main content

Day 8: Time



As I am preparing to write for the Blogember challenge topic today, TIME, I'm bombarded with thoughts and ideas just as I am when I feel as though I'm running out of time.

Time is such a gift.  We have the opportunity to choose each moment how we feel with each person or event we encounter.  Often it is not our choice how we have to spend that time - waiting in line, working with a difficult person, rushing around completing the necessary errands… and yet, we are blessed with the time to choose.

That to me is the real gift.  The ability to choose who we are at that time.  Do we smile through the tears, do we break down in the face of impatience, or do we pull ourselves up by our bootstraps and decide this is the moment that matters.

Many times I find myself, "running out of time", and yet how can that be true?  If I choose each moment who I'll be, how can I run out of time?  Perhaps I haven't been intentional about the person I showed up as the moment before ….

Time is measured in minutes, hours, days, months, years.  And yet couldn't time be measured in moments and really mean more?  I once had a wise adviser tell me that balance doesn't come in days, it comes over the years.  The same thing is true about time and how we measure it.  We count what matters, and mark milestones along the way.  I feel strongly about longevity and endurance.  I believe it stands for something in my life.  And in order to recognize that it's marked by time.

A marriage is celebrated at it's anniversary, marking the years.  And who doesn't feel a little bit prouder each time we knock down another year?  Having weathered a storm here and there, celebrated a promotion or made vacation memories during that year.

Time is ticking away right now.  And if we choose to spend it wisely, it doesn't 'run out'.  Time is spend filling our metaphorical 'basket' with moments of happiness and fulfillment.

Today I'll choose wisely where and how I spend my time.  And smile thinking of how easy writing this blog was compared to putting this into practice!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And I'm back

Right now on the downslide to 2018 there are some things that need to change.  I can feel them in my bones, in my heart and on my mind!  This is going to be the year of me.  Feeling, doing, loving better than I have before.... not wondering, resting and being cautious! This image is the inspiration I need.  The critic is the inner critic.  And i'm done listening to her.  Here's what I know.  I'm braver and stronger than I ever imagined.  When someone says I can't do something I say, 'just watch me."  So here goes. 2018 feeling better feeling stronger being curious being bold taking adventures taking time to do it right

Day 16: Six Word Memoir

"Thought about stopping, then ran harder." Day 16 for the Blogember challenge is a 6-word memoir. I could substitute 'ran' for 'tried' almost every day.  Even if for just a brief moment I am paralyzed with fear, confusion, doubt - I press on.  And that is the very best time …. knowing that I still have the power within me to continue to 'fight'. This can be a physical challenge, emotional challenge or just what appears to be a mountain of work to overcome…. whatever it is, if I choose to find a way through it, rather than around it - I'm successful. Happened again this week at work - and my husband reminded me last night.  Why did you let it get you down for two days when you knew they best way to solve it was head-on, with a direct conversation?  He's right.  But I'm not successful with the conversation until I'm mentally prepared to have it.  And yesterday I did.   That's my mantra.  For running, and for l...

Day 4: Freedom

Today's Blogember entry is to write about Freedom. Freedom is one of those words/emotions/concepts that has changed for me over the years.  As I evolved and developed, so has how I view Freedom.  Early on I thought of Freedom as rights that I have as a citizen, the right to choose and how lucky I am to live in a country where Freedom is afforded to me. Fast forward to today.  Freedom to me still is resoundingly around my right to choose.  And those choices are how I see myself, how I choose to present myself to the world.  I have the freedom to make choices that resonate with my soul, and who I choose to be. Freedom is not being attached to all those nay-sayers who come into a life.  With freedom from the dependency of other's approval comes independence and confidence.  The ability to lean in to the life I have been given, carrying the lessons I've learned and the joy that sustains me. It is a purposeful life, one that encompasses freedom....