Skip to main content

Road Therapy



I'm thrilled to have my new Saucony this morning to get a few miles in before the rest of the day begins.  They feel good, and better than that my feet feel good too.

As I was expressing my excitement yesterday for saying goodbye to blisters and hello to the miles of road therapy ahead, I experienced a big ah-ha.  These miles to me are truly therapy.  And these days I can use it.  I find that I'm constantly reminding myself that each of us is fighting a battle inside.  We don't know of each other's battles.  Yet we know of our own and those aren't always easy ...

And as a way to think mine through, I find the miles are like therapy.  Without the validating voice across the room.  That voice is this case is the one in my head.  And the sound of my feet hitting the ground.

With each passing mile it seems to provide a clearer path, a more enlightened view of how to deal with all those thoughts.  It's amazing what those miles can do for me.  And now I'm so glad to have all that to look forward to doing.

Like in running, the problems don't all have to solved in one fell swoop.  They happen with smaller steps.   Manageable actions strung together.  Just like miles come together with a series of steps.  And as the miles pass, the problems seem to become clearer - and certainly less severe.  Perhaps better yet, more manageable!

Road therapy.  Get out and try some.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And I'm back

Right now on the downslide to 2018 there are some things that need to change.  I can feel them in my bones, in my heart and on my mind!  This is going to be the year of me.  Feeling, doing, loving better than I have before.... not wondering, resting and being cautious! This image is the inspiration I need.  The critic is the inner critic.  And i'm done listening to her.  Here's what I know.  I'm braver and stronger than I ever imagined.  When someone says I can't do something I say, 'just watch me."  So here goes. 2018 feeling better feeling stronger being curious being bold taking adventures taking time to do it right

Day 16: Six Word Memoir

"Thought about stopping, then ran harder." Day 16 for the Blogember challenge is a 6-word memoir. I could substitute 'ran' for 'tried' almost every day.  Even if for just a brief moment I am paralyzed with fear, confusion, doubt - I press on.  And that is the very best time …. knowing that I still have the power within me to continue to 'fight'. This can be a physical challenge, emotional challenge or just what appears to be a mountain of work to overcome…. whatever it is, if I choose to find a way through it, rather than around it - I'm successful. Happened again this week at work - and my husband reminded me last night.  Why did you let it get you down for two days when you knew they best way to solve it was head-on, with a direct conversation?  He's right.  But I'm not successful with the conversation until I'm mentally prepared to have it.  And yesterday I did.   That's my mantra.  For running, and for l...

Day 4: Freedom

Today's Blogember entry is to write about Freedom. Freedom is one of those words/emotions/concepts that has changed for me over the years.  As I evolved and developed, so has how I view Freedom.  Early on I thought of Freedom as rights that I have as a citizen, the right to choose and how lucky I am to live in a country where Freedom is afforded to me. Fast forward to today.  Freedom to me still is resoundingly around my right to choose.  And those choices are how I see myself, how I choose to present myself to the world.  I have the freedom to make choices that resonate with my soul, and who I choose to be. Freedom is not being attached to all those nay-sayers who come into a life.  With freedom from the dependency of other's approval comes independence and confidence.  The ability to lean in to the life I have been given, carrying the lessons I've learned and the joy that sustains me. It is a purposeful life, one that encompasses freedom....