Skip to main content

Day 26: Favorite Teacher



When I reflect back on my school years several teachers stand out to me:  Mr Favat - 7th grade English who encouraged me to keep writing…. stories, poems, doesn't matter .. "just keep writing," he told me. And Mr. Stanley - 10th grade Health whose lessons still ring true today - it was more of a human relations class and life lessons than it was a traditional high school Health class.

Yet, the person that changed things for me was a professor that I encountered when I returned to college as an adult to complete my Bachelor's Degree.  At the time I wasn't even sure what my major was going to be, as I'm was fully emerged in a successful career that didn't require additional training or education.

When I found Professor Pfitzer in the American Studies department at Skidmore College I was hooked.  His classes inspired me to grow and learn in ways I hadn't done previously.  I developed a love of History and for putting the pieces together that I treasure to this day.

He could have treated me differently, as I was not a traditional undergrad.  I was much older and there for different reasons than most.  And, yet, he valued what I brought to the classroom and encouraged me to continue to share my perspective - and it's uniqueness from the other students.

During those classes he showed me I bring value, I am smart and I have the ability to learn in a different way than I realize.  He brought so much self-confidence to me, and in the spirit of Thanksgiving I am grateful to him for all he taught me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And I'm back

Right now on the downslide to 2018 there are some things that need to change.  I can feel them in my bones, in my heart and on my mind!  This is going to be the year of me.  Feeling, doing, loving better than I have before.... not wondering, resting and being cautious! This image is the inspiration I need.  The critic is the inner critic.  And i'm done listening to her.  Here's what I know.  I'm braver and stronger than I ever imagined.  When someone says I can't do something I say, 'just watch me."  So here goes. 2018 feeling better feeling stronger being curious being bold taking adventures taking time to do it right

Day 16: Six Word Memoir

"Thought about stopping, then ran harder." Day 16 for the Blogember challenge is a 6-word memoir. I could substitute 'ran' for 'tried' almost every day.  Even if for just a brief moment I am paralyzed with fear, confusion, doubt - I press on.  And that is the very best time …. knowing that I still have the power within me to continue to 'fight'. This can be a physical challenge, emotional challenge or just what appears to be a mountain of work to overcome…. whatever it is, if I choose to find a way through it, rather than around it - I'm successful. Happened again this week at work - and my husband reminded me last night.  Why did you let it get you down for two days when you knew they best way to solve it was head-on, with a direct conversation?  He's right.  But I'm not successful with the conversation until I'm mentally prepared to have it.  And yesterday I did.   That's my mantra.  For running, and for l...

Day 4: Freedom

Today's Blogember entry is to write about Freedom. Freedom is one of those words/emotions/concepts that has changed for me over the years.  As I evolved and developed, so has how I view Freedom.  Early on I thought of Freedom as rights that I have as a citizen, the right to choose and how lucky I am to live in a country where Freedom is afforded to me. Fast forward to today.  Freedom to me still is resoundingly around my right to choose.  And those choices are how I see myself, how I choose to present myself to the world.  I have the freedom to make choices that resonate with my soul, and who I choose to be. Freedom is not being attached to all those nay-sayers who come into a life.  With freedom from the dependency of other's approval comes independence and confidence.  The ability to lean in to the life I have been given, carrying the lessons I've learned and the joy that sustains me. It is a purposeful life, one that encompasses freedom....