Skip to main content

Day 22: 10 Place I would like to visit - or have visited!

For today's challenge to blog each day during the month of November for Blogember, I think of far away places - where I've been and where I still want to go … in this 10 Places to Visit challenge.

I began my college career as a Travel & Tourism major to spend years in that industry before returning to school as an adult to pursue my Bachelor's Degree in what ended up being an American Studies major.  To culminate that degree I wrote a thesis that wove together both of my degrees as well as my experiences.  It was a story of women's travel and how it has changed over time.  A century ago they traveled for transportation, while today women have the opportunity to travel for transformation.  Travel is an amazing opportunity that I have experienced, and will continue.  So I've chosen to give you 5 of my favorite travels, and 5 of my 'yet to be' places!~



So I'll start with my favorite places to date …

1)  Alaska - I know, big state and far away.  I had the opportunity to visit one September many years ago and experience the beauty of this majestic place.  Anchorage, Fairbanks, Denali National Park and my favorite spot was Kenai.  I loved the fresh air, the wildlife and the vast space leaving room for so much opportunity for new thoughts and deep breaths.  And even saw Mt. McKinley peeking out of the clouds on our day.

2)  Canadian Rockies - about a decade ago I did a Rockies by Rail trip, and enjoyed it immensely.  We began in Calgary and traveled to Vancouver.  Again, wide open space, beautiful scenery and time to think and breath.  Banff was by far my favorite … peaceful and welcoming.  Lake Louise is the most amazing blue I've ever seen, and Jasper was amazing too.

3)  Sedona - a deeply spiritual place providing red rocks as the backdrop for culture and history of the Southwest to unfold.  Its known for its healing powers and centering ability. I'm sensing a theme here for all of my selections - aren't you!

4) London - during my career in travel I was fortunate to have traveled to some wonderful places and experience culture and history in some magical adventures.  While the Concorde was still flying I was able to fly from NY to London and back via the supersonic jet… an experience in itself!  And then to enjoy the amazing city of London with Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, Herrods, Tower Bridge and all the city holds .. was amazing!

5) Key West - this was our honeymoon trip over a decade ago.  The perfect combination of beach, music, and relaxation for us.  Good food, great music and a laid back location that allowed each day to unfold as intended.  Boy, what I know now that I didn't know then!

And yet to discover …

1)  Hawaii - this was to be our honeymoon location for obvious reasons.  And then there was a job change and limited time off.  This one is still on our list .. and although it may involve taking darling daughter with us, we will enjoy to scenery and peacefulness of the Hawaiian Islands at some point soon!

2)  Positano, Italy - I've only seen it in the breathtaking pictures...the amazing beauty of the Almalfi Coast.  This one may have to wait a bit .. I see this as a wonderful romantic getaway…..

3)  Napa Valley - again, another getaway for just the two of us as the wine tasting and wonderful food would be best enjoyed if only for a couple days as a romantic getaway, don't you think?

4)  Ireland - as my heritage on my father's side is Irish, I've always wanted to visit the land of my ancestors.  I imagine it very much like the movie Leap Year.  Food not great, weather perhaps rainy … but the scenery green and peaceful!  Lots of castles, history and kind-hearted people!

5) The Grand Canyon - although this one may seem boring to some, I want to experience that amazing feeling of seeing it for the first time.  This one is absolutely a family adventure.  All those red rocks and huge, nature-made canyon just waiting to be experienced!

Happy trails!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 25: A Love Letter

Perhaps this one is the most challenging blog of Blogember month … it's not about being clever or witty, being funny or entertaining.  This blog is a love letter to myself….. Dear Jude, In thinking of all the wonderful things I appreciate about you, what comes to mind immediately is your fierce devotion to your family and close friends.  I love that you find ways to comfort, surprise and endear them to you with thoughtful notes, conversations and the occasional, "I saw this and I thought of you," gifts. As you dedicate yourself to ensuring your family is well taken care of and always feels loved, you are an incredible mom.  You refer to yourself as an 'intentional' parent - with the way you help your daughter see the lessons in the good and the painful, remind her of her kind and caring heart from which to make decisions and the playful nature you allow to escape showing her how much fun life really is. Part of your nurturing nature has allowed you to

Day 16: Six Word Memoir

"Thought about stopping, then ran harder." Day 16 for the Blogember challenge is a 6-word memoir. I could substitute 'ran' for 'tried' almost every day.  Even if for just a brief moment I am paralyzed with fear, confusion, doubt - I press on.  And that is the very best time …. knowing that I still have the power within me to continue to 'fight'. This can be a physical challenge, emotional challenge or just what appears to be a mountain of work to overcome…. whatever it is, if I choose to find a way through it, rather than around it - I'm successful. Happened again this week at work - and my husband reminded me last night.  Why did you let it get you down for two days when you knew they best way to solve it was head-on, with a direct conversation?  He's right.  But I'm not successful with the conversation until I'm mentally prepared to have it.  And yesterday I did.   That's my mantra.  For running, and for l

Goal Setting and Success!

Today was a winning day for me.  I am closer to my goals than ever before.  As you may recall I set three goals for myself involving weight loss, successful professional accreditation and promotion.  I have officially lost 4.5 pounds since April 1st, and today passed another part of the designation making be exactly halfway complete! This is a huge accomplishment for me!  I've sacrificed and put the time in to set myself up to succeed.  Each step is not always forward, but I do keep moving. My husband said to me tonight after work (and finding out I passed another part).  "I really admire your determination to keep going.  I would have quit long ago.  But not you.  You didn't let it get you down." That truly means the world, not that he sees me as successfully passing, but that success has not come easily.  And I refused to be defined by it.  I am driven, determined and downright stubborn when it comes to going after something I want. Tonight I cele