Skip to main content

What would you do with an extra day?



I find myself in an interesting situation where we are snowed in with over nine inches of new snow and sub-zero temperatures and fierce winds.  Sunday was all about making soup, bread and roasting vegetables for the week.  I didn't venture outside whatsoever.

And then the call came that the area is pretty well shut down on Monday.  School, public buildings, even my place of employment … a bonus day!  An extra day to the weekend that comes without an commitment or obligation to complete anything.  Now that's not something that happens all the time - rarely is more the case.

What do I do with this new bonus day?  I'd only imagined that these days would be granted in the past. And now I have one upon me.  Oh, the opportunity for adventure .. well, that is, adventure that must take place within my home.

There's all those books I could make progress on, my knitting, spending even more 'weekend' time with my daughter … all those choices.

Choices are funny things, you know?  We make so many of them every day, every moment.  So many of them we take for granted, or do out of habit without much decision involved.  What happens when you have big decisions to make?  Ones that take resolve and reflection to play out the end game.  Those are some big choices.

Sometimes those kind of choices are not ready to be made as a decision point, but an evolution of the actions and decisions as you go about your daily life.  Those are really the ones that matter.

Choices are good.  Choose wisely!  You've only got this one life to live ...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And I'm back

Right now on the downslide to 2018 there are some things that need to change.  I can feel them in my bones, in my heart and on my mind!  This is going to be the year of me.  Feeling, doing, loving better than I have before.... not wondering, resting and being cautious! This image is the inspiration I need.  The critic is the inner critic.  And i'm done listening to her.  Here's what I know.  I'm braver and stronger than I ever imagined.  When someone says I can't do something I say, 'just watch me."  So here goes. 2018 feeling better feeling stronger being curious being bold taking adventures taking time to do it right

Day 16: Six Word Memoir

"Thought about stopping, then ran harder." Day 16 for the Blogember challenge is a 6-word memoir. I could substitute 'ran' for 'tried' almost every day.  Even if for just a brief moment I am paralyzed with fear, confusion, doubt - I press on.  And that is the very best time …. knowing that I still have the power within me to continue to 'fight'. This can be a physical challenge, emotional challenge or just what appears to be a mountain of work to overcome…. whatever it is, if I choose to find a way through it, rather than around it - I'm successful. Happened again this week at work - and my husband reminded me last night.  Why did you let it get you down for two days when you knew they best way to solve it was head-on, with a direct conversation?  He's right.  But I'm not successful with the conversation until I'm mentally prepared to have it.  And yesterday I did.   That's my mantra.  For running, and for l...

Day 4: Freedom

Today's Blogember entry is to write about Freedom. Freedom is one of those words/emotions/concepts that has changed for me over the years.  As I evolved and developed, so has how I view Freedom.  Early on I thought of Freedom as rights that I have as a citizen, the right to choose and how lucky I am to live in a country where Freedom is afforded to me. Fast forward to today.  Freedom to me still is resoundingly around my right to choose.  And those choices are how I see myself, how I choose to present myself to the world.  I have the freedom to make choices that resonate with my soul, and who I choose to be. Freedom is not being attached to all those nay-sayers who come into a life.  With freedom from the dependency of other's approval comes independence and confidence.  The ability to lean in to the life I have been given, carrying the lessons I've learned and the joy that sustains me. It is a purposeful life, one that encompasses freedom....