Skip to main content

Little stories




I have a wonderful habit of making up details of how things will turn out even when I have no idea what the truth actually is … or how it actually unfold … Does everyone do this same thing?  I've heard others say that when people are not given enough information, they make up the parts that they don't know.  Just so they have an answer.   And this is completely along the same lines.

When you expect a phone call and it doesn't come you're pretty sure that person has driven off the road and is in a ditch somewhere.  Or maybe I'm the only one who does that.  I assumed all these years that it was my impatience that was the culprit here.  But perhaps it's my desire to know the rest of the story.  To have the details.  To put the pieces together in my mind until they make sense.

My mind works that way.  It wants things to make sense.  Perhaps not always logically, but to have a sequence - an order that allows a synchronized flow.  And when the information to me stops, I make up the details in order to enable it to continue.

When I say it like that, I sound rather crazy.  I assure you, I'm not.  Well, most days I'm not…..

It's the order of things that resonates with me.  And there is a pattern and sequence to how things unfold that appeals to me.  And in my impatience to complete the sequence I've been known to make up my own details … in my mind … that enable a logical ending.

These little stories might be the death of me!  Why does everything have to make sense?  And have some order?  It doesn't.

Life is messy.  Its answers sometimes come slowly.  And sometimes things just remain unfinished.  For now.  Until it is their time to be finished.  Which I remind myself very often, is out of my control.

There are only so many things that are within my control.  Most of which is my reaction to things.  And having a reality unfinished is out of my control.  I find that when I wait for the answers to come, they make sense.  That being said, they are not always the answers I was hoping for - but that's not realistic either.

If this were a novel, I'd be in charge of the sequence and timing.  But life is not a novel.  It's non-fiction all the way.  And isn't that more exciting anyway?  To have things unfold and tell their own story - not one that I negotiated for my own personal gain.

Sometimes the details are so surprising and cause such delight, that I couldn't have predicted their outcome.  And that is really worth waiting for .. in the end it's the surprises that delight which make for real joy!  Not something I've orchestrated .. although that may produce some satisfaction .. it's not the joy of real delight.

So I'll stop making up all the details in order to have the story tied up in a neat little package.  I'll leave room for surprise and glee.  Those are the very best kinds anyway.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 25: A Love Letter

Perhaps this one is the most challenging blog of Blogember month … it's not about being clever or witty, being funny or entertaining.  This blog is a love letter to myself….. Dear Jude, In thinking of all the wonderful things I appreciate about you, what comes to mind immediately is your fierce devotion to your family and close friends.  I love that you find ways to comfort, surprise and endear them to you with thoughtful notes, conversations and the occasional, "I saw this and I thought of you," gifts. As you dedicate yourself to ensuring your family is well taken care of and always feels loved, you are an incredible mom.  You refer to yourself as an 'intentional' parent - with the way you help your daughter see the lessons in the good and the painful, remind her of her kind and caring heart from which to make decisions and the playful nature you allow to escape showing her how much fun life really is. Part of your nurturing nature has allowed you to

Day 16: Six Word Memoir

"Thought about stopping, then ran harder." Day 16 for the Blogember challenge is a 6-word memoir. I could substitute 'ran' for 'tried' almost every day.  Even if for just a brief moment I am paralyzed with fear, confusion, doubt - I press on.  And that is the very best time …. knowing that I still have the power within me to continue to 'fight'. This can be a physical challenge, emotional challenge or just what appears to be a mountain of work to overcome…. whatever it is, if I choose to find a way through it, rather than around it - I'm successful. Happened again this week at work - and my husband reminded me last night.  Why did you let it get you down for two days when you knew they best way to solve it was head-on, with a direct conversation?  He's right.  But I'm not successful with the conversation until I'm mentally prepared to have it.  And yesterday I did.   That's my mantra.  For running, and for l

Goal Setting and Success!

Today was a winning day for me.  I am closer to my goals than ever before.  As you may recall I set three goals for myself involving weight loss, successful professional accreditation and promotion.  I have officially lost 4.5 pounds since April 1st, and today passed another part of the designation making be exactly halfway complete! This is a huge accomplishment for me!  I've sacrificed and put the time in to set myself up to succeed.  Each step is not always forward, but I do keep moving. My husband said to me tonight after work (and finding out I passed another part).  "I really admire your determination to keep going.  I would have quit long ago.  But not you.  You didn't let it get you down." That truly means the world, not that he sees me as successfully passing, but that success has not come easily.  And I refused to be defined by it.  I am driven, determined and downright stubborn when it comes to going after something I want. Tonight I cele