Skip to main content

Christmas Miracles



As Christmas Eve is true to most magical part of the holiday for me, I was thrilled to find miracles throughout the day and well into the night …

The earliest part of the day required me to attend to work-related tasks, while continually redirecting my daughter to keep herself occupied so I could finish up.  I wasn't particularly successful, which caused frustration on both our parts.  And then realized it was a day that I skipped lunch, and that was a huge mistake!

So as the day progress I knew I couldn't work in a run due to timing of the afternoon events, and became even more frustrated.  I then used this as an opportunity to teach my daughter a way to change your mood.

"Let's go for a walk!" I said to her.  "Grab your coat, hat, scarf and gloves.  We're going out!"  And she was game.  We walked just over a mile in the freezing cold wind of the Midwest.  Yet in those moments that we talked and walked we found something … a better mood!

Wow, that air was cold.  And it was a game changer.  And in lieu of a 3-mile run in solitude, I had a bitter cold walk with my girl and it brightened my day.  A miracle of sorts.

The evening involved Christmas Eve service, dinner with wonderful friends and ended with a conversation with an old friend.  It couldn't have been a more miraculous Christmas Eve.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And I'm back

Right now on the downslide to 2018 there are some things that need to change.  I can feel them in my bones, in my heart and on my mind!  This is going to be the year of me.  Feeling, doing, loving better than I have before.... not wondering, resting and being cautious! This image is the inspiration I need.  The critic is the inner critic.  And i'm done listening to her.  Here's what I know.  I'm braver and stronger than I ever imagined.  When someone says I can't do something I say, 'just watch me."  So here goes. 2018 feeling better feeling stronger being curious being bold taking adventures taking time to do it right

Day 16: Six Word Memoir

"Thought about stopping, then ran harder." Day 16 for the Blogember challenge is a 6-word memoir. I could substitute 'ran' for 'tried' almost every day.  Even if for just a brief moment I am paralyzed with fear, confusion, doubt - I press on.  And that is the very best time …. knowing that I still have the power within me to continue to 'fight'. This can be a physical challenge, emotional challenge or just what appears to be a mountain of work to overcome…. whatever it is, if I choose to find a way through it, rather than around it - I'm successful. Happened again this week at work - and my husband reminded me last night.  Why did you let it get you down for two days when you knew they best way to solve it was head-on, with a direct conversation?  He's right.  But I'm not successful with the conversation until I'm mentally prepared to have it.  And yesterday I did.   That's my mantra.  For running, and for l...

Day 4: Freedom

Today's Blogember entry is to write about Freedom. Freedom is one of those words/emotions/concepts that has changed for me over the years.  As I evolved and developed, so has how I view Freedom.  Early on I thought of Freedom as rights that I have as a citizen, the right to choose and how lucky I am to live in a country where Freedom is afforded to me. Fast forward to today.  Freedom to me still is resoundingly around my right to choose.  And those choices are how I see myself, how I choose to present myself to the world.  I have the freedom to make choices that resonate with my soul, and who I choose to be. Freedom is not being attached to all those nay-sayers who come into a life.  With freedom from the dependency of other's approval comes independence and confidence.  The ability to lean in to the life I have been given, carrying the lessons I've learned and the joy that sustains me. It is a purposeful life, one that encompasses freedom....