Skip to main content

Run#LikeAGirl



This one really hit home for me.  For years I've been preaching, BUT I AM A GIRL! How would you like me to do something other than #LikeAGirl??

As the mother of a pre-teen daughter I have been messaging this to her for years.  Instilling in her the belief that she can do anything.  Yes, like a girl!  I encourage her to be who she is and do what she believes in ... and this is such an empowering message for all young girls!

Last weekend I got new running shoes because mine were worn out and hurting my feet.  I took her with me to the store.  To show her what it looks like to take care of yourself, believe in yourself and support what's important to me.  I didn't ask her to want to run.  Or take care of herself.  I SHOWED her what it looks like when I do it.

And of course you know the next part.  She also wanted a new pair of sneakers.  "Mommy, can I get running shoes too?"  And so I made sure she was fitted and has a supportive new pair.  And a week later she's barely taken them off her feet.

Here's the lesson.

Model the behavior.  Live your life so that it inspires your daughter.  Yes, I fail at this on a daily basis.  I get impatient or frustrated or in a hurry.  And when it passes I remind myself what is important.  Showing her how proud I am to be living the life I am today.  To live in the moment.  To take care of myself AND my family.  That little things matter.  And at the end of the day, isn't most of it little stuff anyway??

I am a girl.  Most days I'm still that 12 year old girl inside.  Timid on the inside, unsure of the next move and wanting to be accepted for who I am.  The beauty of aging is the wisdom and courage that comes with experience.  Although I may feel like the 12 year old on the inside, I've learned to face the world with a smile and an open heart.  I wouldn't trade any of my experiences that brought me to where I am today.  I am proud to be a girl, and proud to share that with my daughter!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 25: A Love Letter

Perhaps this one is the most challenging blog of Blogember month … it's not about being clever or witty, being funny or entertaining.  This blog is a love letter to myself….. Dear Jude, In thinking of all the wonderful things I appreciate about you, what comes to mind immediately is your fierce devotion to your family and close friends.  I love that you find ways to comfort, surprise and endear them to you with thoughtful notes, conversations and the occasional, "I saw this and I thought of you," gifts. As you dedicate yourself to ensuring your family is well taken care of and always feels loved, you are an incredible mom.  You refer to yourself as an 'intentional' parent - with the way you help your daughter see the lessons in the good and the painful, remind her of her kind and caring heart from which to make decisions and the playful nature you allow to escape showing her how much fun life really is. Part of your nurturing nature has allowed you to

Day 16: Six Word Memoir

"Thought about stopping, then ran harder." Day 16 for the Blogember challenge is a 6-word memoir. I could substitute 'ran' for 'tried' almost every day.  Even if for just a brief moment I am paralyzed with fear, confusion, doubt - I press on.  And that is the very best time …. knowing that I still have the power within me to continue to 'fight'. This can be a physical challenge, emotional challenge or just what appears to be a mountain of work to overcome…. whatever it is, if I choose to find a way through it, rather than around it - I'm successful. Happened again this week at work - and my husband reminded me last night.  Why did you let it get you down for two days when you knew they best way to solve it was head-on, with a direct conversation?  He's right.  But I'm not successful with the conversation until I'm mentally prepared to have it.  And yesterday I did.   That's my mantra.  For running, and for l

Goal Setting and Success!

Today was a winning day for me.  I am closer to my goals than ever before.  As you may recall I set three goals for myself involving weight loss, successful professional accreditation and promotion.  I have officially lost 4.5 pounds since April 1st, and today passed another part of the designation making be exactly halfway complete! This is a huge accomplishment for me!  I've sacrificed and put the time in to set myself up to succeed.  Each step is not always forward, but I do keep moving. My husband said to me tonight after work (and finding out I passed another part).  "I really admire your determination to keep going.  I would have quit long ago.  But not you.  You didn't let it get you down." That truly means the world, not that he sees me as successfully passing, but that success has not come easily.  And I refused to be defined by it.  I am driven, determined and downright stubborn when it comes to going after something I want. Tonight I cele