Skip to main content

This book changed my life

my personal copy - held close to my heart, and lovingly given to a friend within 12 hours of completion because I didn't want her to miss a moment of being able to know she's a warrior too!


I can't tell you the last time I was so eager to read a book AND when I finished I was even move thrilled than the anticipation of starting.  Glennon Doyle Melton's Carry On, Warrior changed my life.  It grabbed me by the heart and held me close as to ensure I was listening - no, really LISTENING!

I haven't laughed or cried so hard in a long time - and not at the same time.  Well sometimes the laughter led to tears, good tears.  And sometimes the tears were recognition that Glennon was describing me - my struggles, my challenges, my hopes and dreams.  And then she offered me a hand to grab onto through the book.  A path to follow as I make my way through my own messy, wonderful life.

What's wonderful and frustrating is that as she described things, I realized this has been my challenge my whole life.  And mine to solve, manage, endure.  Yet somehow I've searched for external solutions.  It's like wanting a magic pill to solve whatever deem as needing to solve - lose weight, more successful, better parenting - whatever your challenge is - it cannot be solved with a magic pill!  It takes hard work and time.

Oh yeah, those things.

Yup, those things.

No one said this was going to be easy.  Certainly not me.  And yet, I can tell you that the results are amazing!  Truly amazing.  On the inside!  And I'm not alone.  I've learned that each of us is traveling our own messy, beautiful path - married, single, kids, no kids, career, part-time job ... every one of us .. and yet how many of us are willing to embrace it?  Look it straight in the eye and say, "you know what life, you're challenging me but I'm a warrior - strong enough to endure - to find I'm grateful and loving and able to create my own little miracles"

A bit dramatic?  Well it's a start.  An ambitious one at that.

It changed my life.

As a mom, wife, friend ....

And now I've ordered three more copies to give to friends who NEED this book like I did.  Not cause they're lives are a mess.  Certainly not by my standards.   Because I don't want them to miss being in this big, wonderful, chaotic club of being a warrior!  Knowing that each of us is strong enough to face the day - and get to the other side.  The other side being the moments of joy.  Your child's laughter, holding your husband's hand just because, a friend's hug, a wonderful run ... all those joyful things that are the reward for a beautiful, messy life.  My life!

Carry On, Warrior!

Comments

  1. Thanks so much for sharing this post! I think that once you have a plan in place, the world is at your feet and you can do anything you want. It's just figuring out what that plan is!!

    I just started running in January, and did my first 5k last week- something I never, *ever* thought I would do! I am looking forward to reading more of your blog and learning something new!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brie - thank you for posting, and congrats on your first 5k! That's awesome! My goal is two 5k races this year - that is AFTER we relocate to Dallas! Where everything will be new .. I'll need the blog to be accountable for my consistency to run and eat healthy! Best to you!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 25: A Love Letter

Perhaps this one is the most challenging blog of Blogember month … it's not about being clever or witty, being funny or entertaining.  This blog is a love letter to myself….. Dear Jude, In thinking of all the wonderful things I appreciate about you, what comes to mind immediately is your fierce devotion to your family and close friends.  I love that you find ways to comfort, surprise and endear them to you with thoughtful notes, conversations and the occasional, "I saw this and I thought of you," gifts. As you dedicate yourself to ensuring your family is well taken care of and always feels loved, you are an incredible mom.  You refer to yourself as an 'intentional' parent - with the way you help your daughter see the lessons in the good and the painful, remind her of her kind and caring heart from which to make decisions and the playful nature you allow to escape showing her how much fun life really is. Part of your nurturing nature has allowed you to

Day 16: Six Word Memoir

"Thought about stopping, then ran harder." Day 16 for the Blogember challenge is a 6-word memoir. I could substitute 'ran' for 'tried' almost every day.  Even if for just a brief moment I am paralyzed with fear, confusion, doubt - I press on.  And that is the very best time …. knowing that I still have the power within me to continue to 'fight'. This can be a physical challenge, emotional challenge or just what appears to be a mountain of work to overcome…. whatever it is, if I choose to find a way through it, rather than around it - I'm successful. Happened again this week at work - and my husband reminded me last night.  Why did you let it get you down for two days when you knew they best way to solve it was head-on, with a direct conversation?  He's right.  But I'm not successful with the conversation until I'm mentally prepared to have it.  And yesterday I did.   That's my mantra.  For running, and for l

Goal Setting and Success!

Today was a winning day for me.  I am closer to my goals than ever before.  As you may recall I set three goals for myself involving weight loss, successful professional accreditation and promotion.  I have officially lost 4.5 pounds since April 1st, and today passed another part of the designation making be exactly halfway complete! This is a huge accomplishment for me!  I've sacrificed and put the time in to set myself up to succeed.  Each step is not always forward, but I do keep moving. My husband said to me tonight after work (and finding out I passed another part).  "I really admire your determination to keep going.  I would have quit long ago.  But not you.  You didn't let it get you down." That truly means the world, not that he sees me as successfully passing, but that success has not come easily.  And I refused to be defined by it.  I am driven, determined and downright stubborn when it comes to going after something I want. Tonight I cele