Skip to main content

Searching for the beauty in all things



This bunch of irises helps to remind me to find the beauty of all things.  And that includes the beauty within.  Not to judge myself based on how far, how fast or even the consistency of my run.  The beauty to me is the fact that I do it!

This reminds me to find the beauty in my daughter - her laughter, her smile, the fact that she still wants to do the 'kissing hand' before we part in the morning - at age 7!  It reminds me to find the beauty in my marriage - my husband and his kindness, patience and never-ending flexibility with schedules, child-rearing and 'work' that a marriage takes to be successful.  And what does success look like anyway?  The beauty of that is we make that choice - and it's what we model for our daughter.

When I went to change the channel the other day during a kissing scene on television.  She said, "Mommy, why are you changing the channel?"  I responded, "Because you don't need to see all that kissing!"  "But Mommy,' she chimed in, 'you and Daddy kiss all the time!"

Although it may not feel that way to me, she sees an affectionate marriage and friendship between the two people who still have a great deal of influence on her!  That made me proud to know that she notices that we still love each other so much!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And I'm back

Right now on the downslide to 2018 there are some things that need to change.  I can feel them in my bones, in my heart and on my mind!  This is going to be the year of me.  Feeling, doing, loving better than I have before.... not wondering, resting and being cautious! This image is the inspiration I need.  The critic is the inner critic.  And i'm done listening to her.  Here's what I know.  I'm braver and stronger than I ever imagined.  When someone says I can't do something I say, 'just watch me."  So here goes. 2018 feeling better feeling stronger being curious being bold taking adventures taking time to do it right

Day 16: Six Word Memoir

"Thought about stopping, then ran harder." Day 16 for the Blogember challenge is a 6-word memoir. I could substitute 'ran' for 'tried' almost every day.  Even if for just a brief moment I am paralyzed with fear, confusion, doubt - I press on.  And that is the very best time …. knowing that I still have the power within me to continue to 'fight'. This can be a physical challenge, emotional challenge or just what appears to be a mountain of work to overcome…. whatever it is, if I choose to find a way through it, rather than around it - I'm successful. Happened again this week at work - and my husband reminded me last night.  Why did you let it get you down for two days when you knew they best way to solve it was head-on, with a direct conversation?  He's right.  But I'm not successful with the conversation until I'm mentally prepared to have it.  And yesterday I did.   That's my mantra.  For running, and for l...

Day 4: Freedom

Today's Blogember entry is to write about Freedom. Freedom is one of those words/emotions/concepts that has changed for me over the years.  As I evolved and developed, so has how I view Freedom.  Early on I thought of Freedom as rights that I have as a citizen, the right to choose and how lucky I am to live in a country where Freedom is afforded to me. Fast forward to today.  Freedom to me still is resoundingly around my right to choose.  And those choices are how I see myself, how I choose to present myself to the world.  I have the freedom to make choices that resonate with my soul, and who I choose to be. Freedom is not being attached to all those nay-sayers who come into a life.  With freedom from the dependency of other's approval comes independence and confidence.  The ability to lean in to the life I have been given, carrying the lessons I've learned and the joy that sustains me. It is a purposeful life, one that encompasses freedom....